It has recently come to my attention that some people over at Sony are considering remaking The Craft…
When I heard this news I immediately thought: if it isn’t broken, DO NOT EFFING TOUCH IT!!! It seems that Hollywood has completely lost their path at this point. I mean, the majority of movies that have been hitting theaters for the past few years have come from comics, novels, or remakes of other films. It’s crazy, right?! I just don’t understand it at all. I’ve even heard rumors that they will also be remaking Indiana Jones WITHOUT Harrison Ford! How can that even work? Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones! This is like remaking Rocky and trying to find someone as perfect for the role as Sylvester Stallone was, or Scarface without Al Pacino, or Die Hard without Bruce Willis, or 24 without Kiefer Sutherland (which I know is a television show BUT it is in talks to return without JACK FRIGGIN’ BAUER! and that is NO! JUST NO!)
So you see my dilemma here: like these other films, The Craft is iconic for it’s time period. Granted it isn’t even close to the caliber of those other movies but it still held a special place in the hearts
and twisted minds of most teenage girls in the late 90’s and still does today. So this post is dedicated to all of the awesomeness that is and always will be The Craft and hopefully enough of my generation, and the newbies who have recently fell in crazy love with this movie too, will get on board and plead with Sony to reconsider this horrible idea.
“I bind you Sony, from doing harm. Harm against the fans and harm against The Craft.”
The Craft taught me a few things:
- Fairuza Balk is IRREPLACEABLE. There is no one on earth like her, period.
- Witchcraft isn’t as crazy as they depicted it to be BUT I did wish to be exactly like
Nancythose girls. I remember my cousin Brooke and I going to Barnes & Noble and poring over all of the spell books and tarot cards that they had in stock. We thought we were so cool. Ha! I’ve always had a soft spot for magical things ever since.
- Friendship is a very important part of growing up, and of adult life too. Not all friendships are going to be right for us also and that is okay.
- Black is an extremely flattering color on everyone. Hey, it’s slimming! 😉
- Watching movies on repeat and knowing every line is totally
- High school boyfriends are totally overrated.
- Follow your heart and it will always lead you on the right path…but take your brain along.
- Drama will always find you. It’s up to us whether we invite it in or keep that door closed.
- High school movies are all sorts of awesome and make it look so much better than it actually was. (Breakfast Club, Perks of Being a Wallflower, 10 Things I Hate About You, Say Anything, Footloose, Charlie Bartlett, Easy A, Pretty in Pink, Clueless…to name a few.)
- Bitches will be bitches.
- Theme music playing for every scene of life is unrealistic.
- Embracing my inner weird is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Have you embraced yours?